PGY2 in Oncology
Provides specialized training in the pharmaceutical care of patients with solid
tumors and leukemia. During the 12-month ASHP-accreditied program, the
resident develops clinical practice skills through direct patient care and
didactic learning. Teaching and research skills will also be developed.
The residency offers several clinical practice experiences within UF Health Shands Hospital, including:
- Adult Medical Hematology/Oncology
- Blood and Marrow Transplantation
- Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- Gynecologic/Surgical Oncology
- Radiation Oncology
- Investigational Drug Services
- Longitudinal Ambulatory Oncology Clinics
- Infectious Diseases
- Pain Management/Palliative Care
- Critical Care/Nutrition Support
- Benign Hematology
The resident will be an integral part of the health care team for each service. The resident provides comprehensive pharmaceutical care services, including pharmacotherapy consults, pharmacokinetic analysis, drug information, and intensive monitoring of each patient on service. The resident participates in all aspects of service, education and research in each clinical area.
A required project, which will directly affect oncology patient care and the practice of hospital pharmacy, will enable the resident to develop skills in clinical research, study design and statistical analysis. The project should lead to a manuscript suitable for publication.
The resident will:
- Staff an average of eight hours per week, to include rotation through Oncology On-Call
- Attend rotation-specific Grand Rounds and conferences
- Gain teaching experience through formal and informal lectures to medical, nursing, and pharmacy staff and individualized instruction to Pharm.D. clerkship students
- Review and present a new drug pertinent to oncology practice, proposed for formulary addition, to the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee
- Present a major project at a regional residency conference or equivalent
- Conduct one medication utilization evaluation on a topic or drug pertinent to oncology/ hematology/bone marrow transplantation
- Make two formal presentations to the department
- Office space with a personal computer is provided.
- Beepers are provided to all residents.
The resident will receive a $52,000 stipend paid by UF Health Shands Hospital. The stipend, coupled with the comparatively low cost of living in Gainesville, should ensure a financially sufficient year.
Hospital benefits include:
- Ten days of paid time off
- Nine paid holidays
- Contributory health insurance
- Paid life insurance
Academic: The applicant should have a Doctor of Pharmacy degree from an accredited school or college. The applicant should have completed a PGY1 Pharmacy Residency before enrolling in this advance residency program.
Professional License: All residents will be required to take and pass the Florida Pharmacy Board Examination by August 8th or have a current license in the state of Florida.
Interview: An on-site interview with presentation is required.
Non-Resident Alien Applicants: To be considered for employment, you must presently have an employment authorization that is valid throughout the residency period.
- Interested applicants must register for the Resident Matching Program
- Phase I Match and Rank List Deadline: March 3, 2017
- Phase I Match Day: March 17, 2017
- Phase II Match and Rank List Deadline: April 5, 2017
- Phase II Match Day: April12, 2017
- Submit all applications through PhORCAS.
- Final deadline for complete applications is December 30, 2016
- Complete applications include:
- Transcript of the applicant’s grades
- Letter of intent
- Shands online application (Please apply for requisition job ID # _____ – Resident Spec Pharm – Pharmacy Admin)
- Current curriculum vitae
- Standardized Reference Forms supplied by and filled out in PhORCAS from three (3) professional sources.
- After completed applications have been reviewed, the residency selection committee will notify selected applicants to arrange an on-site interview.
- Official start date for the residency: July 5, 2017
Residency Program Director:
Ashley Richards, PharmD, BCOP
Director, Oncology Pharmacy Residency
UF Health Shands Hospital
1600 SW Archer Road
P.O. Box 100316
Gainesville, FL 32610-0316